Almost every homeowner dreams of a brand new, state-of-the-art kitchen, but kitchen remodels are expensive and can often take months to complete. Fortunately, there are a few easy changes you can make which will give you the updated look you crave with significantly less cost.
1. Replacing your cabinets can be costly when updating a kitchen. There are several options to consider instead. One option is to re-stain or paint the existing cabinets. This gives new life to your kitchen & is usually is good weekend project. If you have an outdated style, that wouldn't be fully updated by re-painting or re-staining, consider refacing. Refacing is a strategy to replace the front of cabinets/drawers by leaving the bases in place and changes only the exterior of the cabinetry.
2. Another, even easier, weekend project is changing the hardware in your kitchen. Changing the old knobs and pulls to something more updated or even adding them to cabinets that did not have them before, can update the whole look of your kitchen. You can also update your faucet and pantry door knobs. These simple changes can give you a quick kitchen re-fresh.
3. Trends come and go, so if you have an older style of granite or backsplash that is making your kitchen feel outdated, this fix can give your existing kitchen a facelift. Current trends are to lighten up with one of the latest white toned options, like bright subway tiles and subtle gray, blue and sand tones. If you have formica countertops, there is a relatively easy weekend project to update them. Most hardware stores carry kits that you can use to paint your countertops to look like granite.
4. Now is the time to remove the old fluorescent lights and replace them with something new! There are a ton of options to fit your space including upcycling older light fixtures by making new shades or putting new covers on. You can also replace your old lights with brand new ones. Both of these are pretty easy weekend projects too!
5. This is a bit of a bigger one, but if you have old, dated appliances, it may be time for an upgrade. There are a lot of color options now and this can be a good way to update the look of your kitchen. If you want to breathe new life into your old appliances, many hardware stores sell paint kits to paint your appliances stainless steel.